Saturday, January 22, 2011

Good gone Bad

I am about to make a bold statement....

The word 'good' has lost its meaning in its entirety.
Have you ever heard the expression "sucka for love"? Well I am what you would call a "sucka for words" and it absolutely undeniably irritates the crap out of me when people use words outside of their context. Not only do I have a love for words but I am fairly into religion.. or even theology... (try and keep up its worth it I promise) The above bold statement was made to make a point and wipe away any sort of justification for our society. So let me just cut to the chase... The last real connection society had to the actual meaning of what is good and what is bad ended with the infamous bar in a rap said by rap artist JayZ in his collaboration with Rihanna when he refer ed to her as "a good girl gone bad". Of course this was said and meant in the actuality of its intended context.. She was a good girl and now she has gone bad.
OKAY PERFECT.. I GET THAT. WHAT IS THERE NOT TO GET?
Today society has such a strong hold on young minds and it is slowly evolving the context of the word GOOD. The rap industry is swapping the meaning of the word good for bad. I find this to be such an issue especially when young minds entertain themselves with solely music and they search for inspiration through the heros' of hip-hop... and because hip hop is such an over populated genre in the music world; our generation is being intoxicated with these lyrics and it is subconsciously changing the way we speak. for instance...

"she BAD" or
"BADDEST chick in the game" or
"the song was sick!" or
"the car is stupid dumb"....

This is my problem... I don't understand why we cant just use the word for what its worth. Why is using an antonym for a word popular right now? Where are we directing our future generation towards? If every little boy growing up now was born to this mentality of referring to a pretty girl as a bad girl, then where does that little boy stand in his very own mind away from music and society? He will stand in a world full of ignorance and in essence he is being taught a dictionary that is completely rewritten by a society that has no direction. As for a young girl growing up in her adolescent years, she will strive to be a 'bad' girl because being 'bad' is the standard for men now-a-days. Its sad....

Its sad when music has such a powerful influence on the way we conduct ourselves subconsciously.. and I'm not saying that I am perfect and what not... because I have used the word 'bad' in its opposite context but when I realized that it is changing the way we think subconsciously I decided to stop using it.

Sadly the real meaning of what the centered text meant was: "she is really beautiful", "the prettiest girl in the industry", "the song was great" and "the car was extremely attractive"...

There are so many other topics I will be touching... stay tuned =)

No comments:

Post a Comment